OPL development pages - iDesk
Easily manage all applications, files, URLs, passwords, notes etc (freeware)
What is iDesk?
iDesk is a small but extremely powerful application that allows you to organize all your files, folders and URLs in an easy folder structure for quick access.
iDesk also provides customizable hotkeys for every internal function, application, file or folder, and contains a built-in task manager, task switcher, password manager (passwords are encrypted using the RC4 encryption algorithm) and note taker, making it the ideal all round tool to get the most out of your Communicator.
Before you install iDesk, please read the installation instructions in the file "INSTALL.TXT" in the installation package.
You can download iDesk from the Downloads page.
Make a donation
I am grateful for any donation and the amount of your donation is of course totally up to you. If you make a donation through SWREG the default donation amount is 5 Euro. You can donate more by increasing the value in the Quantity field.
If you really like iDesk, please consider making a donation by clicking on one of the buttons below. Please note that if you are from the European Union and want to donate through SWREG, you will be charged an additional 17.5% VAT. This is an EU regulation that SWREG is handling automatic. To avoid this, please use PayPal instead.
Plans for next releases:
Bugs or improvements
- Find a solution for the problem that iDesk does not detect hotkeys when a dialog is active
- Add SendAs functionality for Notes and Documents
- Macro's - create and run Macro 5 compatible Macros
- Import for Notes and Passwords
- Scheduled start of applications, files etc
- Integrate Autotype functionality in iDesk
- Automatic lock
If you find any bugs or have further ideas for improvement, please let me know by sending an email to Arjen Broeze or by posting a message in the iDesk support forum.
iDesk change history
Changes in version 1.46:
* For more information about Mobile Search, please visit http://www.mobile-search.de.
- Uninstall now deletes all iDesk created files without prompting to prevent the "Problem removing iDesk - Unknown error" message during uninstall.
- Backup/Restore configuration menu-items added to backup the complete configuration before uninstallation and restore it after a reinstallation (see instructions in INSTALL.TXT)
- Added Notes database for quicker loading of the Notes overview dialog (the database is automatically created from the existing notes)
- Collaboration with Mobile Search *:
- Changed notes format. All existing notes are automatically converted to the new format.
- Mobile Search can now search in iDesk notes
- Mobile Search can also open the found notes directly in iDesk.
Changes in version 1.45:
- !!! Desk and My Own keys work again for assigning hotkey definitions. Even the default behaviour (bring up the Desk application) now works again.
- iDesk now exits without prompting when requested by the system (e.g. before a backup)
- If the header was not shown, the title was also never updated. This has been fixed,
- Find any button by specifying part of the filename
- Added menu-item to check for new installed applications from menu and select which folder to add them to
- Virtual cursor support (remembered for each folder)
- Added a Notes view dialog to view notes without editing them (easier to read and also prevents accidental modification of notes). Whether notes are opened in View or Edit mode can be set in preferences
- Background color for the area behind the button can now be set in Preferences.
- Added the Application list back in the tools menu
- Modified menu-layout (hopefully easier to work with now)
- Moved used modules to own application directory to prevent them from being uninstalled
- Added option list to Reboot dialog (close apps first, reboot immediately)
- Added option list when deleting a button for a file, note or folder (delete button only, delete button and file)
- Added timer for header updates and optimized header drawing to reduce the CPU-load.
- Folders are now only compacted if modified since last startup
- When deleting a file, folder or note, an existing hotkey definition for this file is also removed
- New format strings for 12/24 hour and am/pm text in header or title
Version 1.42 (official release):
- Header and title were continuously updated even when iDesk was in the background or the case was closed
- When deleting a hotkey from the iDesk hotkeys dialogs, the changes were not saved to file
- Hotkeys for individual Notes didn't work
- Titlebar wasn't updated when time changed
- Header was displayed wrong after tasklist was dismissed
- Some applications (like Presentations) could not be started or produced an error when started from iDesk
- Items in startup folder where not always automatically started
Version 1.41 (build 0013 - beta release)
- Header text is now fully configurable. Part of the header text can also be shown in the title bar
- When removing a button, iDesk now asks if the attached document, note or folder should also be removed.
- Notes dialog now optionally displays the first line(s) of each note instead of the dates. Date format for notes is also configurable.
Version 1.40 (build 0013 - beta release)
- Added 'New hotkey' in 'Other hotkeys' dialog, so you can create hotkey definitions without having to create a button first
- Completely rewrote abListbox.opm and abScrollbar.opm to optimize for speed and memory use
- Replaced 4 OPX's (Array, AppInfo, OplUtils and Image) by one OPX (S80Utils) to prevent future installation problems
- Fixed bug with overlapping header text
- Fixed bug with sort menu not showing in German version
- New scrolling About dialog (iDesk will be a FreEPOC release from now on)
- Fixed 'does not exist' error in Tasklist
- Prevent iDesk from starting twice
- Fixed bug in hotkey assignment (Chr was added automatically)
- Fixed 'overflow' error in Application list
- Numerous other small bug fixes
- Three new options in the General section: incremental matching for application list and the initial state of items in notes and password dialogs (expanded or collapsed)
- Notes export
- Passwords export
- Autostart any application by putting them in the Startup folder (this folder is automatically created if it doesn't exist)
- Add menu to Tasklist (Refresh, Close, Close All, Compact mem) in order to be able to use shortcuts in tasklist window
- Added a new command to start all items in a folder ('Open all' in Functions-menu)
- Added the ability to open file system folders (when selecting the file manager application, iDesk will prompt for the folder to open)
- Sort buttons ascending or descending by caption names
- Improved error handling
- Since fonts in OPL don't support other languages (like Arabic or Cyrillic), there is now an option to extract the button caption from the application's filename. This is a temporary solution until TTF fonts can be used in OPL.
Version 1.33 (official release):
- Changed background bitmap display mode (nr of colors was wrong)
- Fixed bug in ABListbox when the list is empty and the space bar is pressed
- Fixed bug in application list when deleting the last item
- Fixed overflow error in application list (due to incremental matching)
- Fixed bug when selecting an unknown file type
- Fixed bug when saving changes in old database format (iDesk 1.1)
- Fixed bug with reinstalled Java applications or application that are reinstalled on a different drive not being found
- Fixed bug with graphical remnants after removing hotkey definitions in Other Hotkeys dialog
Version 1.32 (official release):
- Fixed the "Out of range" error when you bring up the "Other hotkeys dialog" and no hotkeys for buttons have been defined
- Fixed the "Not supported" error when you exit iDesk and non iDesk created files are in the \System\Apps\iDesk\Data folder
- Fixed some typos in the German and Dutch translations
- Added new option for the button border (flat, raised or sunken)
- Reorganized the button preferences section
- Improved the way categories are handled for notes
Version 1.31 (released as prerelease to very limited audience only):
- Note taker. Quickly view, create and modify Notes. There are three types of Notes buttons (View Notes Dialog, View/edit specific note and Create new note). Of course you can also assign a hotkey to these actions, so creating a note is never more than one keypress away from within any application;
- iDesk now includes a task switcher to quickly switch between all open applications. The hotkey can be defined in the iDesk Hotkeys dialog;
- Autostart-option. Specify whether or not you want iDesk to start automatically when the Communicator is restarted;
- Auto-close Desk application on startup. If you want to use iDesk as a replacement for the built in Desk application, you can use this option in combination with the new Auto-start option.
- It is now possible to use Application keys (Desk, Telephone, My Own, etc.) in hotkey combinations. For example, use 'Desk' to start iDesk and 'Chr+Desk' for the task list (the Desk on My Own key only work on firmware versions before 5.22);
- The Application list has been removed from the menu and is now available as a command (so you can assign it to a button or define your own hotkey for it);
- Button captions can now be changed;
- Instantaneous saving of all changes. No more lost settings if you take out the battery or reboot your Communicator. Every change you make is immediately saved to disk;
- The Desk and Calendar applications can now also be found in the Application list. These applications are marked as hidden and therefore did not show up in previous versions;
- You can now specify a background image to be shown (valid image formats are JPG,BMP,MBM,TIFF,WMF,ICO,WBMP and OTA). There are lots of configuration options for displaying this background image (center, tile, stretch, fit etc);
- Empty buttons can be hidden and buttons can be made semi-transparent or transparent (so you can see more of the background image);
- If you paste a button, you now get the change to specify at which location you want to paste the button;
- A new dialog is added that shows an overview of all defined hotkeys for buttons;
- Launching of URLs has been implemented in another way. The old method didn't work on some Communicators;
- If a password entry contains an URL, this URL can be directly launched from within the password edit dialog;
- The task list is now integrated in the main screen and has the additional option to close all running applications. When closing an application, a more informative message is shown depending on whether the application is busy, a system application or doesn't respond to system events;
- Added incremental search to the application list. For example, if you want to start "Control Panel" from the list of applications, quickly press the "C" and "O" keys in succession. This will skip "Calculator", "Calendar", "Clock" etc and directly select "Control Panel".
- The reboot command has been enhanced. Before rebooting you get the chance to close all running applications;
Version 1.3 (internal version - never released):
- Added task switcher
- Added background image
Version 1.22 (official release):
- Added note taker
- Added support for Application keys
Version 1.21 (released as beta only):
- iDesk is now available in 3 languages (English (UK and US), Dutch and German). A big thank you to Colin Joerg for helping with the German translation.
- When the user tries to set a Hotkey without modifiers (e.g. "T" only), an appropriate warning is displayed.
- The "Delete template" function now really deletes the template (before it was only removed from the list).
- When a password is deleted, it is now also removed from the password list.
- Buttons captions that do not fit on the button are now shown with "..." at the end.
- When editing a password, the initial focus is now set to the Username field to prevent accidental changing of the category (only if the category is not empty).
- Fixed a "list index out of bounds" error when deleting the last folder in the list of folders.
- Pressing the Backspace key now performs the same function as pressing Ctrl-D (Delete button).
- Pressing the Escape key now performs the same function as pressing Ctrl-B (Back to previous folder).
- Pressing "Enter" on an unassigned button now opens the "Edit" dialog for this button.
- Closed databases (folders, passwords etc) are now compacted to save space.
- The SysApp application does not show in the Tasklist anymore.
- When attempting to kill an application, an appropriate warning is displayed.
- Tasklist does no longer allow to close/kill the Telephone application (this causes the Communicator to reboot).
- Long password fieldnames are truncated to prevent the dialog from become too wide.
- iDesk can now use the entire Communicator screen. You can optionally switch off the title bar, header, command button area and the status bar to allow room for up to 35 buttons.
- Hotkeys!!! Every internal action and every button now has an optional hotkey (press Ctrl+H to set hotkeys for individual buttons and Ctrl+Shift+H to set hotkeys for all iDesk's internal functions). Hotkeys also work when iDesk is in the background.
- Quickly select any action by pressing the first character of the application name (for example, press "C" to start Control Panel). If this is the only button that has this starting character, the attached action is immediately launched. If there are more buttons that have the same starting character, pressing that character repeatedly cycles through these buttons.
- Improved password management (categories, templates (press Ctrl-T to edit templates), ability to edit all fields, change the master password and full text search).
- The amount of available memory is now shown in the header line next to the available disk space.
- Improved installation and deinstallation. Please read install.txt for installation instructions.
- Numerous small bugfixes.
- Added the possibility to assign URLs to buttons.
- More configurable button display (font name, size, color and attributes as well as button color)
- Separate settings for the selected and unselected buttons, making it easier to see which is the active button
- Configurable hotkey for bringing iDesk to the foreground
- Customizable drive information display (show free or used space) with a different color should your drive become too full
- Fixed a memory leak in the About and Program information dialogs